Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mama Mia! Ze Mediterranean CHALLENGE!


Opah! Πετώ στην Ελλάδα αύριο! For those of you who don’t speak Greek, which, after seeing what the language looks like, I’m assuming it’s all of you, I am flying to Greece Tomorrow! Gotta love babel fish translator, the only reason I passed my Spanish class. Anyways, my parents and I (the brother is in North Carolina ‘working’ at a children’s museum) will be taking off tomorrow and arriving at the American Embassy in Athens! That’s right, Linden’s crashing the Embassy, ruh-roh. Our family friend, Dan Speckhard, is currently the ambassador there and has invited us to come explore Greece. Jealous? ;)

Coincidentally, as I was exploring my favorite alternative medicine news website, this article popped up on a study that showed those who consume a Mediterranean diet have a longer life expectancy. This isn’t the first time I've heard this, and I’m sure it’s not your first time, either. It makes sense when you think about it: a diet high in fish (hello, omega-3), fruits, veggies, cereals and light wine drinking. Greeks also tend to eat less red meat and processed foods, consuming olive oil instead of saturated fats. That’s when I got the idea for my first, ever HHH CHALLENGE! Do you dare? Are you ready? Can you HANDLE it? MAMA MIA!!! Ok, that’s enough intimidation, here’s the plan…

For 9 days, starting tomorrow, you and I will eat a purely Mediterranean diet. So get that grocery list ready and find Greek restaurants near you (googlemaps, baby), and get ready to live like a Greek for a week. As for me, I don’t think I’ll have too much trouble finding authentic Greek food ;)

The Picture I provided is of the Greek food pyramid, so that should help give you an idea of what to eat the most and the least. Here’s the run-down. The staples of the Mediterranean diet are seafood, fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts and seeds, legumes, yogurt, olive oil and small amounts of wine. Greeks don’t cut out fat, but choose healthy fats, such as nuts and avocados. Limiting the amount of trans fat, Greeks reduce their risk for heart disease and stroke. Olive oil on everything is their motto, which helps prevent countless diseases, including cancer and other ailments, such as arthritis. Omega 3 fatty acids are found in many Greek recipes, which have countless health benefits. It’s all about the veggies. Most meals are primarily veggies and legumes, with small amounts of meat or fish on the side. Whole grains are a huge part of their diet as well, but make sure that you are eating wheat instead of white. Finally, for desert, relish the natural taste of fruit. We get caught up in fatty, processed deserts like donuts and cakes, and forget the truly indulgent taste of a juicy mango or crisp apple.

Here is a link to Mediterranean recipes.

Can't believe I leave tomorrow! I should definitely start to pack... heh...


Good look, and report back to me!

Until next time---

Hungry πεινασμένοςHippy

2 comments:

  1. This food pyramid looks much healthier than the one that was used when I was in elementary school. I would submit that we really need more vegetables, less grain and less dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are we going to hear about your epicurean adventures in Greece? How easy was it to stay gluten free?

    ReplyDelete